Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Display least Grade

Hi All,

I've grades of each student for each subjects in a row from cell 'A' - 'F'
and I want to display their least grade in a subject in cell 'G'. that is If
a person is in C grade in any one of the subject I want "C" to be displayed
in "Least Grade" column. Is there a formula to get the desired result?

Example

Sub - 1 Sub - 2 Sub - 3 Sub - 4 Sub - 5 Sub - 6 Least Gr
John A B A B A C C
Anna B A B A B B
Steven A A A A A
Mary A B A B A C C

Thanks for your help.

--
Karthi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:36:26 +0100, Lars-Åke Aspelin
wrote:

G2 is the cell for the output so the range should be B2:F2

In the table example the OP gave, the first grade was in B2. The grades were
labeled Sub1 through Sub6; so unless there are two grades in one cell, the last
grade cannot be G2.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:43:02 -0800, Karthik
wrote:

Hi All,

I've grades of each student for each subjects in a row from cell 'A' - 'F'
and I want to display their least grade in a subject in cell 'G'. that is If
a person is in C grade in any one of the subject I want "C" to be displayed
in "Least Grade" column. Is there a formula to get the desired result?

Example

Sub - 1 Sub - 2 Sub - 3 Sub - 4 Sub - 5 Sub - 6 Least Gr
John A B A B A C C
Anna B A B A B B
Steven A A A A A
Mary A B A B A C C

Thanks for your help.

I neglected to point out that your table above seems to have data in A2:G2
(name in A, and data in B:G, so your Last Grade will probably be in H.

If your data is more complex; e.g. if you have grades like C+ or A-, then the
sorting becomes more complicated and a UDF might be simpler.
--ron