Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default dd:hh:mm:ss

Hello,

I have a list of durations of time in days, hours, minutes and seconds.

I want to type these into a column and then calculate the total at the end.

The problem I find is that it doesn't seem to recognise the format
dd:hh:mm:ss when I type it in as 01:21:14:23 it thinks it's text even though
I have changed the cell format to custom dd:hh:mm:ss

The sum at the bottom works out the amount of days etc fine in that format
but only if I enter the durations in the rest of the column as hh:mm:ss

Could someone please help, it's driving me crazy!

Example of what I want to do:

01:07:48:03
07:11:53:35

=sum(A1:A2)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You either need to change the way you input the values, like:
1/1/1900 7:48:03

or, can keep your current input, and then use this helper column:
=--LEFT(A2,2)+TIMEVALUE(MID(A2,4,999))

And sum the helper column.
--
Best Regards,