Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Return column header

Hello all:
I have a spreadsheet that lists a number of items in Col A. Each items
needs tasks done to it to make it complete.
In Column B I have a status (more on that in a sec)
In cols C-H i have a series of tasks. in each row I am going to put the
date that the task is complete.
example:
A B C D E etc
Item Status purchase Clean Refurb
Engine (help here!) 1/1/10 2/4/10

I would like to return Refurn where (Help here!) is located. This shows me
that it is currently in Refurb (since purchase and cleaning of the item are
complete).

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Doug
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the array formula:

=INDEX($C$1:$H$1,1,MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK(C2:H2),0))

This must be entered with CNTRL-SHFT-ENTER rather than just the ENTER key.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Huber57" wrote:

Hello all:
I have a spreadsheet that lists a number of items in Col A. Each items
needs tasks done to it to make it complete.
In Column B I have a status (more on that in a sec)
In cols C-H i have a series of tasks. in each row I am going to put the
date that the task is complete.
example:
A B C D E etc
Item Status purchase Clean Refurb
Engine (help here!) 1/1/10 2/4/10

I would like to return Refurn where (Help here!) is located. This shows me
that it is currently in Refurb (since purchase and cleaning of the item are
complete).

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Doug