shezzer_1972

Default How do I get a list to display colours

I want to create a drop down list in excel whereby the user chooses an
option. This list is a status list so is it possible to code it so that they
can select RED, AMBER, or GREEN but the cell is coloured in the corresponding
colour. When I have tried it just appears as the words.

shezzer_1972

wow thanks for the fast reponses. I tried both those options and couldn't
get it to work, it just displayed again the list as words and not colours...,
any other thoughts? appreciate your responses

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use DataValidation, and create a List with those values.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shezzer_1972" wrote in message
I want to create a drop down list in excel whereby the user chooses an
option. This list is a status list so is it possible to code it so that

they
can select RED, AMBER, or GREEN but the cell is coloured in the

corresponding
colour. When I have tried it just appears as the words.

Debra Dalgleish

Use Data Validation to create a dropdown list of colours (as words).
There are instructions in Excel's Help, and he

Then, use conditional formatting to colour the cell based on the word
that was selected. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and he

http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

shezzer_1972 wrote:
I want to create a drop down list in excel whereby the user chooses an
option. This list is a status list so is it possible to code it so that they
can select RED, AMBER, or GREEN but the cell is coloured in the corresponding
colour. When I have tried it just appears as the words.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Bob Phillips

I thought you wanted the words.

Don't think you can do what you ask, but you could use conditional
formatting to test the value and set the colour to red, amber or green
dependent upon that value.

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use DataValidation, and create a List with those values.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shezzer_1972" wrote in message
I want to create a drop down list in excel whereby the user chooses an
option. This list is a status list so is it possible to code it so

that
they
can select RED, AMBER, or GREEN but the cell is coloured in the

corresponding
colour. When I have tried it just appears as the words.

shezzer_1972

Debra

fantastic, this was really really helpful and the instructions helped it to
click for me! thanks to all who responded and a BIG THANK you to you from me!