Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mz mz is offline

Default Dependent "If" formulas

An "IF" formula tests the result of a calculation and inserts a text
description for how to proceed depending upon the result.
How could I write a formula in an adjacent row that would provide additional
instructions based upon the first result - without having to retype the
entire text in the second formula)

Here is the example:

FIRST IF FORMULA CONTAINED IN CELL A1:

=IF(F23+G23<3000,"Itemize $"&SUM(F23+G23),"Choose lesser tax between Deduct
and Credit methods")

SECOND FORMULA CONTAINED IN CELL B1:

=IF([What would be placed here instead of having to copy the text "Choose
lesser tax between Deduct and Credit methods" from the first formula],"Lesser
tax is:")

Would whatever method suggested work for continued "IF" formula in adjacent
cells that would provide additional instructions based upon the results of
the previous "IF formula?

Thank you
--
MZ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1) I'm not I understood you - but whatever you type inside "inverted commas"
will remain in all copied formulas.
2) Usually, you will type the text in a "far away" non-used cell [such as
ZZ1] and refer the formula to that cell with Fixing its address - such as:
$ZZ$1
Micky

"MZ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"MZ" wrote:
FIRST IF FORMULA CONTAINED IN CELL A1:
=IF(F23+G23<3000,"Itemize $"&SUM(F23+G23),"Choose lesser tax between Deduct
and Credit methods")

SECOND FORMULA CONTAINED IN CELL B1:
=IF([What would be placed here instead of having to copy the text "Choose
lesser tax between Deduct and Credit methods" from the first formula],"Lesser
tax is:")

In this case, you could write:

=if(left(A1,6)="choose", "Lesser tax is:", "")

If the first word of the alternative results in A1 is not distinctive, more
generally you might need:

=if(isnumber(search("lesser",A1)), "Lesser tax is:", "")

Be sure that whatever you SEARCH for is distinctive and not a substring of
something that would be ambiguous.

Would whatever method suggested work for continued "IF" formula in adjacent
cells that would provide additional instructions based upon the results of
the previous "IF formula?

Yes, but if you change A1 to $A$1, it may be easier to copy, then edit the
formula, if that is what you want to do. Example: