Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data search problem

Hi.

I need to list, in order of frequency, the five most frequently occurring
numbers from a cell series (say A1:J10). I have been stumped for weeks on
this.

I need
Most frequently-occurring number
Next most-frequently number
etc (all the way to, say the fifth-most-frequently occurring number).

I can used =mode(a1:J10) to find the most frequently-occurring number - but
then I am lost.

Can someone help? It looks simple ... but it's beaten me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:13:01 -0800, Bishee
wrote:

Hi.

I need to list, in order of frequency, the five most frequently occurring
numbers from a cell series (say A1:J10). I have been stumped for weeks on
this.

I need
Most frequently-occurring number
Next most-frequently number
etc (all the way to, say the fifth-most-frequently occurring number).

I can used =mode(a1:J10) to find the most frequently-occurring number - but
then I am lost.

Can someone help? It looks simple ... but it's beaten me.

In you want the five results in cells K1 to K5, then try this.

In cell K1: MODE(A1:J10)

In cell K2: MODE(IF(A1:J10<K1,A1:J10))

In cell K3: MODE(IF(A1:J10<K1,IF(A1:J10<K2,A1:J10)))

In cell K4: MODE(IF(A1:J10<K1,IF(A1:J10<K2,IF(A1:J10<K3,A1: J10))))

In cell K5:
MODE(IF(A1:J10<K1,IF(A1:J10<K2,IF(A1:J10<K3,iF( A1:J10<K4,A1:J10)))))

Note all of these, except the first one, are array formula that have
to be confirmed by CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem with this is the 2 dimensional range. While MODE by itself can
handle a 2 dimensional range for a single result, a 2 dimensional range
greatly complicates things for the nth mode of the range.

One way to do this is to download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll
from:

http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

Alternate download site:

http://www.download.com/Morefunc/300...-10423159.html

This add-in contains many useful functions. One of which is called
ARRAY.JOIN which will evaluate a 2 or 3 dimensional range as a 1 dimensional
vertical array.

With this function we can do what you want easily.

With your data in the range A1:J10 (named Table), enter this formula in A15
for the mode:

=MODE(Table)

Enter this array formula** in A16 for the nth mode:

=MODE(IF(COUNTIF(A$15:A15,ARRAY.JOIN(Table))=0,ARR AY.JOIN(Table)+{0,0}))

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down as needed.

Note that both formulas will return the *first* instance of the nth mode
from left to right, top to bottom if there are multiple instances of the nth
mode.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP