gary dickinson

Default how to count matching cells?

i want a formula to if a cell date is 07/05/05 and another cell contains a
date count.

this is for my newsletter sheet where each mail out has a sent date and then
replies are logged in the next cell if any, so i want to calculate the number
of replies recieved from my mailing on particular days

any hlp would be helpful
gary dickinson

Sorry guys, i still cant make it work, i give an example below:

a b
1 27/04/05 27/04/05
2 27/04/05 28/04/05
3 27/04/05
4 28/04/05 29/04/05
5 28/04/05
6 28/04/05

my formula wants to say if a cell column a = 27/04/05 how is there a date in
the same row in column b, then i do the same for the next date 28/04/05.

so my answer should be 27/04/05 = 2 replies
and 28/04/05 = 1 repliy

my sheet contains some 18000 rows so can i use A:A?

sorry if i am a little slow on the uptake here.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A20=DATE(2005,7,5)),--(ISNUMBER(B2:B20)))

Peo Sjoblom

"gary dickinson" <gary wrote in message
i want a formula to if a cell date is 07/05/05 and another cell contains a
date count.

this is for my newsletter sheet where each mail out has a sent date and
then
replies are logged in the next cell if any, so i want to calculate the
number
of replies recieved from my mailing on particular days

any hlp would be helpful

Peo Sjoblom

Thanks for the feedback

Peo Sjoblom

"gary dickinson" wrote in message
Thanks Peo

That worked great !!!!!!!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You cannot use the whole column A:A, what answer do you get with

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A1800=DATE(2005,4,27)),--(ISNUMBER(B2:B1800)))

if you indeed have as in your example you should get 2, however if the
dates
are text you would get zero,
assume A2 holds 27/04/05 what is the answer you get with =ISTEXT(A2)

if TRUE you have text dates