Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep Cell Data Blank when Copying It

This is a silly question for me, but:

I have a column of cells that are currently blank and another column that is
a direct reference to that (i.e., cell AC3=Y3). However, while Y3 remains
blank, AC3 instead reflects a 0. How do I make this remain blank until there
is a value 0 or higher entered into Y3? This is key because I have formulas
referencing AC3 that depend on whether it is blank and the 0 valuation is
skewing that.

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try an IF statement in column AC:
=IF(Y30,Y3,"")

Dave O'Brien
Eschew obfuscation
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

=IF(Y3="","",Y3)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"king60611" wrote in message
This is a silly question for me, but:

I have a column of cells that are currently blank and another column that
is
a direct reference to that (i.e., cell AC3=Y3). However, while Y3 remains
blank, AC3 instead reflects a 0. How do I make this remain blank until
there
is a value 0 or higher entered into Y3? This is key because I have
formulas
referencing AC3 that depend on whether it is blank and the 0 valuation is
skewing that.

Thank you!

signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can change your formula to:

=IF(Y3="","",Y3)

Note that if this is evaluate by the ISBLANK function, it returns false as
the cell is not truly "blank". This is a common annoyance, but the workaround
usually involves using a < or operator, or simply the ISNUMBER function.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"king60611" wrote:

This is a silly question for me, but:

I have a column of cells that are currently blank and another column that is
a direct reference to that (i.e., cell AC3=Y3). However, while Y3 remains
blank, AC3 instead reflects a 0. How do I make this remain blank until there
is a value 0 or higher entered into Y3? This is key because I have formulas
referencing AC3 that depend on whether it is blank and the 0 valuation is
skewing that.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought Roger's solution would work, but I'm not really sure how to
incorporate it into the rest of my formula since I guess it's really not as
simple as I made it out to be:

=IF(G3="Mktg Paid", Y3,"") So, the idea is that as long as Y3 is blank, so
should cell AC be but if there's a value, that's what it should read.
Unfortunately, I left out the further qualifier of the G3 value.

My apologies. I'm still new at writing my own formulas.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

=IF(Y3="","",Y3)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"king60611" wrote in message
This is a silly question for me, but:

I have a column of cells that are currently blank and another column that
is
a direct reference to that (i.e., cell AC3=Y3). However, while Y3 remains
blank, AC3 instead reflects a 0. How do I make this remain blank until
there
is a value 0 or higher entered into Y3? This is key because I have
formulas
referencing AC3 that depend on whether it is blank and the 0 valuation is
skewing that.

Thank you!

signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Try
=IF(AND(G3="Mktg Paid",Y3=""),"",Y3)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"king60611" wrote in message
I thought Roger's solution would work, but I'm not really sure how to
incorporate it into the rest of my formula since I guess it's really not
as
simple as I made it out to be:

=IF(G3="Mktg Paid", Y3,"") So, the idea is that as long as Y3 is blank,
so
should cell AC be but if there's a value, that's what it should read.
Unfortunately, I left out the further qualifier of the G3 value.

My apologies. I'm still new at writing my own formulas.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

=IF(Y3="","",Y3)

--