Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge

I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
this problem?

--
Briggs
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use
=TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Briggs" wrote in message
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $
and
the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
this problem?

--
Briggs

signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can format the fields at the Word end of the operation.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...164951033.aspx

But may be easier to use the TEXT function and helpers cells as Biff points
out.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:00:01 -0800, Briggs
wrote:

I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No probs, Gord.
I hope that all is well with you, and best wishes for 2010

--
Regards
Roger Govier

wrote:

I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $
and
the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to
solve
this problem?

signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the greetings.

Good year so far although the golf is a little sparse.

Too many frost delays.

Gord

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:32:04 -0000, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote:

No probs, Gord.
I hope that all is well with you, and best wishes for 2010

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Briggs,

To control number & currency formatting in Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
.. select the field;
.. press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
.. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
.. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
.. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
.. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
.. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
.. \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed.
Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

--
Cheers
macropod