jenniss

Default is it possible for a excel document to copy cells to another excel

I have created a timesheet in Microsoft Excel 2003

I have now created several mini timesheets with indiviual employees names on.

I want an employee to update there mini timesheet which will automatically
update the main original timesheet.

currently i have all the excel documents open and in the main timesheet i am
putting in each cell = the cell from one of the mini timesheets which is
taking several hours.
is there a quicker way?
if this should of been posted in a differnt place could you please tell me
Harald Staff

Hi

Excel can not copy stuff TO locations. She can only copy FROM places to
where the = is. Which is what you do now.

Macros can push information. A macro solution, mimicking, or even improving,
your manual operations will help for a while.

You don't say how big a company this is, but "hours" indicate "quite big".
Excel is not the best storage application around, especially not if you keep
data and intelligence/calculations/code/reports in the very same file.
Sooner or later you may have to rethink the whole thing, and maybe along
these lines:

- Employees must have a tool to enter their time. Let us find or make the
best tool for that.
- This growing pile of data from all over the place must be collected and
stored in something that handles storage. Let us find that thing.
- You need something that can summarize and make reports from all that data.
Let us find or build the best tool for that.

The first and third tools can be anything; web applications, Excel files,
tailored desktop tools, ... The middle one, storage, is almost always a
database of some sort.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"jenniss" skrev i melding
I have created a timesheet in Microsoft Excel 2003

I have now created several mini timesheets with indiviual employees names

on.

I want an employee to update there mini timesheet which will automatically
update the main original timesheet.

currently i have all the excel documents open and in the main timesheet i

am
putting in each cell = the cell from one of the mini timesheets which is
taking several hours.
is there a quicker way?
if this should of been posted in a differnt place could you please tell me

Max

Perhaps something along the lines of the set-up
in the sample file below might also provide some ideas
in summarizing from each employee's timesheet ..
[ uses a OFFSET(INDIRECT(...),MATCH(...),MATCH(...)) construct ]

Sample file is at: http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=45720
(right-click on the link "Download File" at the top of the page)
File: TimesheetSummary_misc.xls
--
Rgds
Max
"jenniss" wrote in message
I have created a timesheet in Microsoft Excel 2003

I have now created several mini timesheets with indiviual employees names

on.

I want an employee to update there mini timesheet which will automatically
update the main original timesheet.

currently i have all the excel documents open and in the main timesheet i

am
putting in each cell = the cell from one of the mini timesheets which is
taking several hours.
is there a quicker way?
if this should of been posted in a differnt place could you please tell me

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric

I Jenniss,

I do the same procedure for my timesheet. How do you do your uptade now in
de main original timesheet ?
--
Eric
Chief Mechanical Designer