Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding Equations

Does excel have a built in ability to view the equation/function to the
computations I am looking for? For example, I did a linear regression model
and I get all these great statistics (T-stat, P-value, etc.). However, I want
to know what their equations are. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Excel help on the functions under "regression"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:16:02 -0800, Phosphide
wrote:

Does excel have a built in ability to view the equation/function to the
computations I am looking for? For example, I did a linear regression model
and I get all these great statistics (T-stat, P-value, etc.). However, I want
to know what their equations are. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2003 under regressionAbout statistical analysis tools

Excel 2007 under regressionPerform statistical and engineering analysis
with the Analysis ToolPak

You will find the various functions and the equations and logic behind most
of them.

Gord

wrote:

Does excel have a built in ability to view the equation/function to the
computations I am looking for? For example, I did a linear regression model
and I get all these great statistics (T-stat, P-value, etc.). However, I want
to know what their equations are. Does anyone have a suggestion?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Phosphide -

In general, I suggest using Google or some other search engine to get more
information about regression equations.

For simple regression, i.e., for one explanatory X variable, some functions
are described in Excel's Help for "SLOPE function" and "INTERCEPT function."

However, to avoid rounding errors and other problems, the methods used for
computer computations may be different from the basic equation. For more
information, consult the computer science areas usually called "numerical
methods" or "numerical analysis."

For multiple regression, i.e., more than one explanatory X variable, the
"functions" are usually described using matrix algebra notation.

Excel's Regression tool uses the LINEST function for many calculations. For
information about Excel's LINEST function, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828533

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com