Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default to use data validation or not

hi,

I am making a church donation file in Excel.

We have now about a hundred plus donors. The number of new donors are still
increasing. At present, I am using data validation with drop down list.

My main problem is the every week there are about 2 or 3 new donors. Donors
usually use aliases instead of their real names such as Amazing Grace, 008 or
Love etc. The list is getting long. I have to update the names in the list
first.

I would like to ask for your expert advice, is it better to continue using
the data validation list or type the name of donors?

In case, I need to get the total amount a certainn donors has given, I may
use filter or the sumif functions.

hope to be enlighten.

Tabylee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there

I think you have answered your own question. You could opt for entering
each donor in the list and then use the filter facility to get totals from
each donor. You may wish to consider sorting the donors and then inserting a
subtotal for each name so that you have all showing at the same time. If
donors use aliases are you confident that they are usinng the same one each
time they make a donation?

If this was helpful please check the box.

Happy New Year
"tabylee via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

hi,

I am making a church donation file in Excel.

We have now about a hundred plus donors. The number of new donors are still
increasing. At present, I am using data validation with drop down list.

My main problem is the every week there are about 2 or 3 new donors. Donors
usually use aliases instead of their real names such as Amazing Grace, 008 or
Love etc. The list is getting long. I have to update the names in the list
first.

I would like to ask for your expert advice, is it better to continue using
the data validation list or type the name of donors?

In case, I need to get the total amount a certainn donors has given, I may
use filter or the sumif functions.

hope to be enlighten.

Tabylee

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Arceedee,

Thanks. I was having a bit of problem on the long drop down list.

I will just type in the donors' name.

Yes, you have been helpfull in assisting me on deciding.

A Blessed New Year to All.

Tabylee

Arceedee wrote:
Hi there

I think you have answered your own question. You could opt for entering
each donor in the list and then use the filter facility to get totals from
each donor. You may wish to consider sorting the donors and then inserting a
subtotal for each name so that you have all showing at the same time. If
donors use aliases are you confident that they are usinng the same one each
time they make a donation?

If this was helpful please check the box.

Happy New Year

hi,

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Tabylee