D4137

Default Set conditional formating for cell based on value in different cel

How do I set the conditional formating for cell D2 based on the value in cell
G2?
Duke Carey

select cell D2
use FormatConditional formatting
select Formula is and type in =G2=some value
then set your format

Instead of G2 *equals* some value, you can use < , = ,<=, etc

"D4137" wrote:

How do I set the conditional formating for cell D2 based on the value in cell
G2?

Zack Barresse

The important thing to remember about Conditional Formatting (CF) is that it
is uses Relative and Absolute Referncing just like Excel Formulas do. The
second most important fact associated with CF is the fact that the cell(s)
selected are the ones directly affected by the referencing. So if you
select A1 and use the CF formula ..
=B1=2
Then A1 will meet a TRUE condition* when B2 value equals 2 and the format
will be applied to A1. The biggest mistake made by users is either
selecting more than one cell, selecting one cell and trying to apply a
format to another, or using incorrect cell referencing when applying
format(s) to various cell(s). If you remember nothing else, remember that
CF IS DEPENDENT UPON WHAT CELLS ARE SELECTED AND THE NOTATION/REFERENCING
USED IN ITS FORMULA(S). It's all about (again..) Location, Location,
Location! ;)

* This is the basis for all CF. A CF formula will only be fufilled when all
items are met to a TRUE condition. This means we can make use of
operational/logical processes, such as * for the AND logical operation and +
for the logical OR operation.

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr