Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I stop Excel from formating my infromation as a Date?

I have to use edit/replace in excel to format my information quite often. And
anytime I have a value that could be viewed as a date excel reformats the
cell and presents the numbers as a date (which they are not). ex:

6--12 in cell A1
edit replace "--" with "-" and you will get "12-Jun" instead of 6-12

I have also tried using the format option with edit/replace but I can not
find a way to get excel to stop converting my numbers to dates.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One solution is to use the substitute function to replace the -- with -
something like this

=SUBSTITUTE(A1, "--", "-")

Where 6--12 is in cell A1. You can copy and paste values to allow ou to
remove the formulas.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Eric" wrote:

I have to use edit/replace in excel to format my information quite often. And
anytime I have a value that could be viewed as a date excel reformats the
cell and presents the numbers as a date (which they are not). ex:

6--12 in cell A1
edit replace "--" with "-" and you will get "12-Jun" instead of 6-12

I have also tried using the format option with edit/replace but I can not
find a way to get excel to stop converting my numbers to dates.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Specify another format for the whole coloum, using a conditional format.
If you create a conditional format, (using simple formula like 1=1),
it should override excel's naturaly tendency to "fix" things for you.

Phil