-   -   link email to drop down list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24981-link-email-drop-down-list.html)

Mike L.

link email to drop down list

how do I link an email address to a specific selection in a dropdown list?

Dave Peterson

What kind of dropdown (data|Validation, a combobox from the Control toolbox
toolbar, a dropdown from the Forms toolbar)?

And is it placed on a worksheet or is it a combobox in a userform?

And what version of excel are you using?

(I think you'll need a little VBA in any case.)

--

Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish

If you have a list of names and email addresses in your workbook:

Name Email
Al
Bea

Cal

Use data validation to create a dropdown list of the names (in cell B3
in this example).

Then, in an adjacent cell, use a Hyperlink formula to create the email
address, e.g.:

=HYPERLINK("Mailto:"&VLOOKUP('Data Entry'!B3,NameLookup,2),B3)

Mike L. wrote:
how do I link an email address to a specific selection in a dropdown list?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Dave Peterson

After reading Debra's post, I'll change this line:

(I think you'll need a little VBA in any case.)

(I think you'll need a little VBA in any case if you want to follow that link
when you change the dropdown.)