Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula to extract number values only

Hi,
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your example, you could use:
=--(RIGHT(A2,3))

If your cells follow a pattern of:
Text(space)number

You can use:
=--(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2)))
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"April" wrote:

Hi,
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

April,

you only give one example so it's a bit hit annd miss I'm afraid but how
about this

=LOOKUP(6.022*10^23,--("0"&MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0 123456789")),ROW($1:$100))))

all in one line of course

Mike

"April" wrote:

Hi,
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

If the number is *always* after the space:

A1 = Sum: 3.5

=--MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1),15)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"April" wrote in message
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:39:01 -0800, April
wrote:

Hi,
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

If the number is always at the end of the string, then:

=--MID(A1,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1&"1,2,3,4, 5,6,7,8,9,0")),15)

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

If the number is always at the end of the string, then:

=--MID(A1,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1&"1,2,3,4, 5,6,7,8,9,0")),15)

I think that will fail if there are other numbers appearing earlier in the
string. Here is a method to pull the number at the end no matter what is in
front of it...

=LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--RIGHT(A1,ROW($1:$99)))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another one
=--MID(A1,FIND(":",A1)+1,9)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"April" wrote:

Hi,
I can't seem to remember how to use a formula to extract numbers only. For
example, I would like to take a create a formula to pull only "3.5" for a
cell that containts "Sum: 3.5"...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I misread what you meant by that... I thought you were referring to
the number that the OP was after, as per his example, being at the end of
the text no matter what what in front of it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

It will. That's why I wrote:

If the number is always at the end of the string, then:

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:27:11 -0500, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:

Sorry, I misread what you meant by that... I thought you were referring to
the number that the OP was after, as per his example, being at the end of
the text no matter what what in front of it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

As we've both noted before, figuring out all the possible variants, given an
initial limited posting of examples, can be tough, and lead to initial
inappropriate responses.

For example, what if there could be multiple numbers, but only the last set of
numbers is wanted; but there could be text following.

--ron