Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Concatenate not working

Using Excel 2007 - though I've seen this problem in '03, too.

I inserted a concatenate formula into a cell: =CONCATENATE(B3," ",A3)
Then I dragged the formula down the column.
The formula correctly updated throughout each cell: =CONCATENATE(B4," ",A4)
(etc.)
BUT... the result never changed - for the entire column the result was
exactly the same as row 3 (ie: if I concatenated Albert Einstein, that name
filled down the column instead of updating to the other rows.)

I've tried the "value only" setting, copied my original columns to new
columns AND later to a new spreadsheet, but the same thing kept happening.
I saved, closed out, reopened.... same thing.

After saving & closing out one more time, the screen seemed to refresh
itself, and the names displayed correctly.

What's going on? A weird hiccup? Is there a way to fix it?
It's almost like the last save cleared a cache.

Thx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

My guess is that calculation has been turned to manual. Do the formula
update if you tap F9?

If so
E2003
Tools|Options - Calculation tab and select automatic

E2007
Office button - Excel options - Formulas and select automatic

Mike

"NicoleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure that you have calculation set for automatic.

Tools|Options|calculation tab in xl2003 menus.

Somewhere under the Excel Options in xl2007.

ps.

you may want to use:
=b3&" "&a3
(less typing and you save a function.)

[...]