Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with IF - THEN

Hi - need formula that will count in one column based on condition in another
column.

For Instance - if column A has "Blue" , I want to check column B and if it
has "Y" I want to count the number of "Y"'s (associated with Blue)

Thanks for your help in advance. ct
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="Blue"),--(B2:B200="Y"))

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Cindyt" wrote in message
Hi - need formula that will count in one column based on condition in
another
column.

For Instance - if column A has "Blue" , I want to check column B and if it
has "Y" I want to count the number of "Y"'s (associated with Blue)

Thanks for your help in advance. ct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you have multiple criteria use SUMPRODUCT()

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=criteria1)*(B1:B10=criteria2))
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=F1)*(B1:B10=F2))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi - need formula that will count in one column based on condition in another
column.

For Instance - if column A has "Blue" , I want to check column B and if it
has "Y" I want to count the number of "Y"'s (associated with Blue)

Thanks for your help in advance. ct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Maybe this

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A19="Blue")*(B1:B19="Y"))

Mike

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi - need formula that will count in one column based on condition in another
column.

For Instance - if column A has "Blue" , I want to check column B and if it
has "Y" I want to count the number of "Y"'s (associated with Blue)

Thanks for your help in advance. ct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ahh, the ever popular SUMPRODUCT!

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A5000="Blue")*(B2:B5000="Y"))

Please note, cannot use entire column (A:A), and both ranges must match
(2-5000, or 2 - 100, or whatever)

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi - need formula that will count in one column based on condition in another
column.

For Instance - if column A has "Blue" , I want to check column B and if it
has "Y" I want to count the number of "Y"'s (associated with Blue)

Thanks for your help in advance. ct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using Excel 2007:

=COUNTIFS(A1:A100,"Blue",B1:B100,"Y")

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

D1 = Blue
E1 = Y

=COUNTIFS(A1:A100,D1,B1:B100,E1)

--