Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default subtraction task

Excel 2003
I'm tracking weight loss.
In one column I have a list of #'s.
The top # is the beginning weight.
Each # under the beginning weight is from succesive weigh-ins.
I want a cell at the bottom of the column that displays the total weight loss.
How do you make the cell recognize the last weigh-in entry in stead of the
previous one?

Date Adam
2-Nov 202 <-----Starting Weight
6-Nov 196 <-----1st Weigh-in
10-Nov
13-Nov
17-Nov
20-Nov
24-Nov
25-Nov
Total Loss ??????<-----Calculate Total Loss?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Assuming that the weight data are in columns B (for example, B2-B9),
use the following formula:

=$B$2-INDEX($B$2:$B$9,COUNT($B$2:$B$9))

If this post is helpful, please click "Yes".

Regards,
Ramachandran

"Jamie" wrote:

Excel 2003
I'm tracking weight loss.
In one column I have a list of #'s.
The top # is the beginning weight.
Each # under the beginning weight is from succesive weigh-ins.
I want a cell at the bottom of the column that displays the total weight loss.
How do you make the cell recognize the last weigh-in entry in stead of the
previous one?

Date Adam
2-Nov 202 <-----Starting Weight
6-Nov 196 <-----1st Weigh-in
10-Nov
13-Nov
17-Nov
20-Nov
24-Nov
25-Nov
Total Loss ??????<-----Calculate Total Loss?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
assuming that your numbers are in column B and has a header in B1
this formula(in B16) will give you the last number in the column.
=OFFSET(B2,COUNTIF(B2:B15,"0")-1,0)
this formula will give you the "weight lose" by subtacting the "start
weight" form the last number in the column.
=B2-OFFSET(B2,COUNTIF(B2:B15,"0")-1,0)

adjust cell references to suit your data.

Regards
FSt1

"Jamie" wrote:

Excel 2003
I'm tracking weight loss.
In one column I have a list of #'s.
The top # is the beginning weight.
Each # under the beginning weight is from succesive weigh-ins.
I want a cell at the bottom of the column that displays the total weight loss.
How do you make the cell recognize the last weigh-in entry in stead of the
previous one?

Date Adam
2-Nov 202 <-----Starting Weight
6-Nov 196 <-----1st Weigh-in
10-Nov
13-Nov
17-Nov
20-Nov
24-Nov
25-Nov
Total Loss ??????<-----Calculate Total Loss?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another one...

=IF(COUNT(B2:B10),B2-LOOKUP(5000,B2:B10),0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jamie" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I'm tracking weight loss.
In one column I have a list of #'s.
The top # is the beginning weight.
Each # under the beginning weight is from succesive weigh-ins.
I want a cell at the bottom of the column that displays the total weight
loss.
How do you make the cell recognize the last weigh-in entry in stead of the
previous one?

Date Adam
2-Nov 202 <-----Starting Weight
6-Nov 196 <-----1st Weigh-in
10-Nov
13-Nov
17-Nov
20-Nov
24-Nov
25-Nov
Total Loss ??????<-----Calculate Total Loss?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you all for your responses. They were all effective. This is the
route I ended up using.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:B10<""),B3:B10)-B3