Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I display trending data in different colors (up=red)

I want to input weekly data into a spread sheet. I'd like to use the fill
color to show if the value is higher or lower than the previous week.
Ideally, I'd like this to be like a heat graph where up 4 is yellow, up 8 is
orange and up 16 is red, etc. This way visually glancing at the data will
show trends. Anyone tried this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I haven't done this but it seems straight forward using conditional
formatting. Assuming your data is in a column starting with B2, you would
set 3 formatting conditions in cell B3 (using Format / Conditional
Formatting) as follows:

Condition 1 - (select Formula Is from pull-down)
=B3-B2=16
Format this one with a red background

Condition 2
=B3-B2=8
Format this one with an orange background

Condition 3
=B3-B2=4
Format this one with a yellow background

Us normal formatting to make the background of B2 and B3 whatever you want
the default to be (i.e. if none of the increase conditions are met). Then
copy the format from B3 down to the rest of your values (B4, B5, etc.).

That should do it.
Will