JB

Default Mandatory entry for a group of cells?

How do I designate a group of cells as requiring an entry, without using a
macro?
Dave Peterson

I'd use a nice visible cell and format it in big bold red letters.

Say your range you want to check is 3 cells (a1:A3).

Then in B1:
=if(counta(a1:a3)=3,"","You must enter all three cells")

Actually, I like to use an adjacent cell for each cell that must be filled in.

=if(a1="","","<-- This cell cannot be left blank!")

--

Dave Peterson
CyberTaz

Hi JB-

In addition to Dave's suggestions, you could just as effectively apply
Borders & Shading to put emphasis on the cells and use an adjacent cell or
Text Box to display the 'required' message.

Keep in mind, however, that you are only "posting a sign". None of these
options will actually force a user to put content in the cells before closing
the file or going on to do something else. AFAIK that would have to be done
with VBA.

Good Luck |:)

"JB" wrote:

How do I designate a group of cells as requiring an entry, without using a
macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hello

try using data validation