Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking a column of data to a row or data in another document

In one worksheet document I have cells of data in a partial column I want to
link to another worksheet but transpose them to a row (the sequence of data
is the same).
I want to link vs copy and transpose because if I need to correct data to my
source worksheet, the linked data to the worksheet it is lnked to will update
automatically.

How do you like more than one cell and do what I'm describing above?
Thanks,
--
Janet A.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Janet A. Thompson wrote:
In one worksheet document I have cells of data in a partial column I want to
link to another worksheet but transpose them to a row (the sequence of data
is the same).
I want to link vs copy and transpose because if I need to correct data to my
source worksheet, the linked data to the worksheet it is lnked to will update
automatically.

How do you like more than one cell and do what I'm describing above?
Thanks,

You can make a formula that will transpose the data automatically.

For example if your source document has the following in B3:B10

And you want this to appear in a linked document as the following in B3:I3

z y x w v u t s

Then do this...

Select B3:I3 in the target (not source) document.

Press F2

Type or paste this formula:
=TRANSPOSE([Book1]Sheet1!$B$3:$B$10)

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Done.

Now you may find this array formula a little unwieldy. For example you
cannot simply type a new formula in the cells. If you want to make
changes you must select the entire range where you entered the array
(B3:I3), press F2, edit the formula, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter again to
commit.

There is more to be said about editing array formulas but I'm probably
getting off topic...