RWN

Default Command Button anomalies

This was originally posted in the "excel.programming" ng as "Command Button test changes
size" on Apr 29th, to no avail.
Thought I'd try it here (with some minor revisions).

I have a template with some buttons and if the user changes the screen resolution, opens
the template and hits the button the text in the button will change size. It will continue
to change each time the button is selected.
In other cases a right click on the button will cause the button itself to expand in size.
Bottom line is that it goes "wonky" depending on when the user changes the resolution and
opens the template.

We've never had the problem before because the resolution was never changed (800 x 600). A
new system requires us to flip it to 1024x768 when using the app (this is too small for us
"older" users which results in changing it, depending on the task at hand).

The question is;
Is there any way to "lock" the Command Buttons to ensure that both the caption and size
remain in proportion to
the current screen resolution?

This happens in both xl2k/w2k and xl03/xp.

--
Regards;
Rob

--
Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

Not a solution--in fact, not even a guess...

Have you thought about replacing the commandbuttons from the control toolbox
toolbar with buttons from the Forms toolbar?

I've seen a few posts that say that the Forms controls are better behaved on
worksheets (than the controls from the control toolbox toolbar).

RWN wrote:

[...]

RWN

Dave;
"Have you thought about replacing the commandbuttons from the control toolbox
toolbar with buttons from the Forms toolbar?"

I'll try it, to be honest I don't know why I used command buttons (usually use the form
buttons-wrote the app a long time ago).

Thanks for the reply, typically when I don't receive a reply it means that I've "missed
the boat", which is sometimes a good "non-reply" (makes me go back and look a little
closer!).

--
Regards;
Rob

RWN

Dave;
Well I figured it out (sort of!).
Tried Form Button as per your suggestion and it works.

Being intrigued-I don't get out much-I found that it did not matter what the resolution
was when I built the sheet (did one on low res, one at high res) - same problem when I
switched.

But, if I closed xl, then changed the resolution, all was well!

Moral of the story;
If you use Command buttons, and have to change resolutions, make sure that Excel is closed
when you change the display settings.

Again, thanks for your help-made me go back and play with it.

--
Regards;
Rob