Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Does sharing a workbook cause columns/rows to unhide?

We have a shared spreadsheet that several people can access and make updates.
Sometimes when one person opens the spreadsheet, all hidden columns/rows
reappear. However, if someone else opens the same spreadsheet, the
columns/rows remain hidden. What can be causing the columns/rows to unhide
for some people and not for others? Ultimately, we would like the
columns/rows to remain hidden at all times. Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do the hidden columns/rows show up when the file is opened -- or when the user
is doing something (like creating a formula and pointing at ranges)?

If they show up when the file is opened, I'd look for macros that show/hide the
rows/columns.

If they show up when pointing at ranges while creating a formula, then have that
user turn off Lotus 123 transition settings.

In xl2003 menus:
tools|Options|Transition tab

But either way, be aware that hidden columns/rows is not an effective way to
protect information from others.
If it's data that others should not see, then don't put it in excel--or don't
share that file with people who shouldn't see it.

--

Dave Peterson