Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default help on dates

does anyone know how i could convert 16-22 November, 2009 to a date format
that i could organize with a list
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that the answer would depend on what date you want returned (16th or
22nd) or something in between.

And the formula could change depending on how single digit day numbers are
displayed.

Do you see:
1-7 January, 2001
or
01-07 January, 2001
or something else???

And do you have any entries that span two months?

If yes, what do those entries look like?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Depends on what he wants to do with the data. Maybe the first (or last) date in
that range would be sufficient for his purposes.

I know that if I had a contiguous set of dates (no gaps), then I'd just use the
start or end date of each time period.

But even if the OP wanted two columns, it still sounds like he'd want to convert
existing data into those two columns. So I think those questions are still
germane.

joel wrote:

Dave: I think he really need two columns. A start column and an end
column.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
16-22 November, 2009 is not a format that excel can reconize as a date.
excel keeps dates as a number then formats it to look like a date.
22 November, 2009 fomated to general is date number 40139. if excel cannot
reconize the number as a date then it treats it as text.
see this site for more info on excel date keeping systems.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214330

also .....excel keeps time as a percent of a day.
12 hours = .5 day
see this site for more info on dates and time.

Regards
FSt1