Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 question involving SaveAs to .XLS

After years with Office 2000 and 2003, I'm learning Excel 2007. I
want to keep the old .XLS file formats with my spreadsheets, none of
which have anything fancier than a SumProduct here and there.

Question: When I do a SaveAs after working on an .XLS file, does
Excel 2007 remember that I want an .XLS file in the future or must
every Save be a SaveAS?

Thank in advance for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you experiment?

If so, what did you discover?

If not, why not?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:46:22 -0500, Kirk Bubul
wrote:

After years with Office 2000 and 2003, I'm learning Excel 2007. I
want to keep the old .XLS file formats with my spreadsheets, none of
which have anything fancier than a SumProduct here and there.

Question: When I do a SaveAs after working on an .XLS file, does
Excel 2007 remember that I want an .XLS file in the future or must
every Save be a SaveAS?

Thank in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm too old to be daring and don't want to mess up my spreadsheets.
But you have emboldened me.

wrote:

Question: When I do a SaveAs after working on an .XLS file, does
Excel 2007 remember that I want an .XLS file in the future or must
every Save be a SaveAS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When experimenting, it doesn't matter if you mess up a copy of the workbook
inquestion.

To answer your original question.......Excel 2007 appears to remember the
format the file was "saved as" when next you click on "save"

Gord