HJC

Default format cell

In Access, I can set up a field that "forces" the user to enter info - a
date, for example - in a certain way, such as 25 Jan 05 or enter time as
12:15 AM. Is there a way that I can "force" this in excel?

Thank you.
CyberTaz

Hello-

Without invoking something more technical, you can select the cell(s) and go
to DataValidation and choose what type of entry be allowed in the field.
Format the cell in the manner you wish to have the date or time expressed.

HTH |:)

"HJC" wrote:

In Access, I can set up a field that "forces" the user to enter info - a
date, for example - in a certain way, such as 25 Jan 05 or enter time as
12:15 AM. Is there a way that I can "force" this in excel?

Thank you.

HJC

Hi - cannot seem to make it work - wonder if you could tell me what I might
be missing.

I went to FORMAT CELL and set custom as follows d mmm, yy
I then went to VALIDATE and selected SETTING and CUSTOM and in the formula
cell wrote d mmm, yy

When I type 3 Sep, 05 into the cell I get a message that I should use the
correct format for the date. Similar thing happens with time column - maybe
just a little thing but I am stumped.