Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What is small green triangle in upper left corner of cell?

I have a text cell containing text with an apostrophe, and to the right of it another text cell containing a numeric digit. The right cell has a small green triangle in its upper left-hand corner,
and when I click on it the cell to the left (one with apostrophe) displays a message saying "The number in this cell is formatted as text or is preceded by an apostrophe." What is the meaning of the
green triangle?

Thanks,
Don
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your come back and help. But, I can't find the error checking controls you mention. I'm using Excel 2007.

Don

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:50:02 -0700, FSt1 wrote:

hi,
this is an error checker. excel checks for things that it thinks may be an
unintentional error by the user and displays the error. if you don't want
excel checking for this error then
on the menubar toolsoptionserror checking tab uncheck numbers strored
as text.
you might want to look over the other errors that excel check for. I have
about half of the unchecked.

Regards
FSt1