Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MCC MCC is offline

Default cell format - can not change

This is a very strange error that I have not seen before and I use excel all
day every day. After a save, one column of my spreadsheet immediately went to
bottom vertical alignment and added what effectively was 2-3 lines above the
text (eg., it respaced all of my rows as if there were 4 lines in that one
box). I have tried reformatting the column, pasting the format in to no
avail. I have gone numerous times to the cell format box under the format
menu and changed things, but the format in the actual cells will not change.
It is as if the column were protected but all sheet and cell protections are
off. Has anyone seen this and can you help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BS BS is offline

I am currently experiencing something similar. Excel just does not always
want to do what one asks it to do.

I had a blank cell set to text, now no formula entered in that cell is
recognized as a formula.

"MCC" wrote:

This is a very strange error that I have not seen before and I use excel all
day every day. After a save, one column of my spreadsheet immediately went to
bottom vertical alignment and added what effectively was 2-3 lines above the
text (eg., it respaced all of my rows as if there were 4 lines in that one
box). I have tried reformatting the column, pasting the format in to no
avail. I have gone numerous times to the cell format box under the format
menu and changed things, but the format in the actual cells will not change.
It is as if the column were protected but all sheet and cell protections are
off. Has anyone seen this and can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BS BS is offline

Well I'll be....

Put the cursor in the cell. Move focus to the Formula box, move to the
first position (I see no quote/apostrophe) and press backspace. This worked
for a formula that was not recognized as a formula in a cell formatted as
text. Maybe it will help you.
Good luck.

"MCC" wrote:

This is a very strange error that I have not seen before and I use excel all
day every day. After a save, one column of my spreadsheet immediately went to
bottom vertical alignment and added what effectively was 2-3 lines above the
text (eg., it respaced all of my rows as if there were 4 lines in that one
box). I have tried reformatting the column, pasting the format in to no
avail. I have gone numerous times to the cell format box under the format
menu and changed things, but the format in the actual cells will not change.
It is as if the column were protected but all sheet and cell protections are
off. Has anyone seen this and can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MCC MCC is offline

Nop, didn't help, sorry! When I copy the affected cell and paste it elsewhere
it takes it's badness with it and then that cell becomes unusable. I think
the tab must be corrupted. I copied the tab to another one via select all
(rather than copy tab) and it got rid of the problem. I would like to know
what is going on though so if it happens again, I can correct it more easily!
Glad your solution worked.