Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default All Hyperlinks have changed the path

All my hyperlinks have changed their path - switched the drive and point to a
directory that doesn't even exist. Not sure how this could happen as I
cannot find a way to change them all back without doing it individually. I
have Approx. 3500 links!

Any ideas on how to correct these links all at once would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A few people have said that this has stopped a similar problem from occurring.
Maybe it'll help you--but you'll have to test it to make sure.

In xl2003 menus:
File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

In xl2007:
Click on the Office button
Choose Prepare, then properties.
Then use the arrow on the Document Properties dropdown
Choose Advanced Properties
And then change the hyperlink base on the Summary tab.

===============

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function for this.

I'll put the path in a hidden cell (A1 in my example). (Include the trailing
backslash, too!)

Then put the filenames in A2:Axxx
Then use the =hyperlink() formula in B2:Bxx.

=hyperlink("File:////"&$a$1&a2,"Click me")
and drag down

Then when I need to change the folder, I can change it one location (A1).

I could embed the path directly in the formula:
=hyperlink("File:////c:\my documents\excel\"& a2,"Click me")
and use Edit|Replace, but that seems like more work to me.

========
If you used Insert|Hyperlink, then you've noticed that edit|replace won't touch
those hyperlink addresses.

Saved from a previous post:

If you used Insert|hyperlink (xl2003 menus), you'll have more work to do. But
the good news is David McRitchie has done most of it for you:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bev,

This is from Excel 2007

Title: Set the base address for the hyperlinks in a workbook

By default, unspecified paths to hyperlink (hyperlink: Colored and
underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a
file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet.
Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.)
destination files are relative to the location of the active workbook.

Use this procedure when you want to set a different default path.

Each time that you create a hyperlink to a file in that location, you only
have to specify the file name, not the path, in the Insert Hyperlink dialog
box.

Click the Microsoft Office Button , click Prepare, and then click
Properties.

In the Document Information Panel, click Document Properties, and then click
Advanced Properties.
Click the Summary tab.
In the Hyperlink base box, type the path that you want to use.
Note You can override the hyperlink base address by using the full, or
absolute, address for the hyperlink in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.

Thanks,
Peggy

"bevchapman" wrote in message
All my hyperlinks have changed their path - switched the drive and point
to a
directory that doesn't even exist. Not sure how this could happen as I
cannot find a way to change them all back without doing it individually.
have Approx. 3500 links!

Any ideas on how to correct these links all at once would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have tried to adjust it. When I go back into the area it didn't seem to
save - the space is blank again. Any idea why this would be? I tried to set
this option in Excel 2003 and it didn't want to save it either.

bevchapman wrote:

All my hyperlinks have changed their path - switched the drive and point to a
directory that doesn't even exist. Not sure how this could happen as I
cannot find a way to change them all back without doing it individually. I
have Approx. 3500 links!

Any ideas on how to correct these links all at once would be greatly
appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a situation where this has occurred with my file of Hyperlinks. I use
several folders of data on my network drive (G:\) which changed to local
(D:\).
Changing my Hyperlink base would be difficult here due to different folder
locations on the G:\ drive. Am I correct?

Also Dave Peterson, when I use your =hyperlink formula it seems I have to
copy and paste the path and add \'filename.xxx", "Simple Name" each time. Is
there any way of doing this like the way I would right clickhyperlinkbrowse
to file?
--
Jeff
Sydney, Australia

bevchapman wrote:

All my hyperlinks have changed their path - switched the drive and point to a
directory that doesn't even exist. Not sure how this could happen as I
cannot find a way to change them all back without doing it individually. I
have Approx. 3500 links!

Any ideas on how to correct these links all at once would be greatly
appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There isn't a browse for file in the =hyperlink() worksheet function.

You may be better off pointing to the UNC path (\\sharename\folder\filename.xxx)
in the Insert|Hyperlink style.