Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Importing a text file of individual records

I have a text file of individual records with a similar format to what is
shown below. I want to import this into excel with one record per row and
each line of the record in a seperate column. Is there a way to do this?

Record 1
Column 1 Header: xxxxxxxx
Column 2 Header: xxxxx
Column 3 Header: xxxxxxx
Column 4 Header: xxxxxx

Record 2
Column 1 Header: xxxxxxxx
Column 2 Header: xxxxx
Column 3 Header: xxxxxxx
Column 4 Header: xxxxxx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
take record1, copy, go to the column where you want the information, paste
special transpose, do the same with record 2

"toby131" wrote:

I have a text file of individual records with a similar format to what is
shown below. I want to import this into excel with one record per row and
each line of the record in a seperate column. Is there a way to do this?

Record 1
Column 1 Header: xxxxxxxx
Column 2 Header: xxxxx
Column 3 Header: xxxxxxx
Column 4 Header: xxxxxx

Record 2
Column 1 Header: xxxxxxxx
Column 2 Header: xxxxx
Column 3 Header: xxxxxxx
Column 4 Header: xxxxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot do this in excel; however, you can make the *.txt file a *.CSV in
word

1) First replace all multiple paragraph marks between records with a text
string that does not exist in your document. (i.e. replace "^p^p^p" with
"zxc")
2) Replace headings with comma. (i.e. replace "^p Column 1 Header" with ","
and the same for rest of columns)
File will look like R1,C1,C2,C3,C4zxcR2,C1,C2,C3,C4 and so on...
3) Replace text string with paragraph (i.e. replace "zxc" with "^p")
4) Import into excel as a CSV file.