Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto-fill numbers in groups of 4

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way...

In A1 1000
In A2:A4 =A$1
In A5 =A1+1
Drag the formula in A5 down as necessary.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"vtrud" wrote:

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the first cell of the list, enter your starting number, e.g., 1000.
Then, in the cell below that, enter

=$A$5+TRUNC((ROW()-ROW($A$5))/4,0)

Change $A$5 to the reference to the first cell in which you entered
1000. Then, copy this formula down for as many rows as you need.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:31:02 -0700, vtrud
wrote:

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is just dragging the formula in A5. You do nt need to write any more
formulas than what is posted.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"vtrud" wrote:

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I do not have a problem with the formula posted but it is good to note that
this formula includes Row which is a volatile function. That means that it
not very efficient in terms of calculation. If you have thousands of these
formulas you could see a performance hit when the spreadsheet calculates. It
is a judgement call as to whether it is a problem or not.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

wrote:

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,
I don't know what I did the first time that didn't work, but it is working
now. And thank you for this tip too.
Have a great weekend.

wrote:

I would like to fill a column with progressive numbers in sets of 4 each.
For instance, A1 - A4 will have 1000 in them then A5-A8 will have 1001 and so
on.

Ideas?
Thx, V

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Doesn't take too long to drag A5 down to A2000.

But you can select A5 and in the namebox type A5:A2000ENTER

Then CTRL + D to copy down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP