Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing numerical values based upper and lower range

I need to change some upper and lower values of some numerical data based on
a upper and lower range.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That is more of a statement than a question. We need a lot more details than
that.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"jrmcosmo" wrote:

I need to change some upper and lower values of some numerical data based on
a upper and lower range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What formula or statement can I use to change numerical values that I want to
keep above a certain lower limit and below a certain upper limit? Say I
wanted to keep the values above 10 but below 20.

"jrmcosmo" wrote:

I need to change some upper and lower values of some numerical data based on
a upper and lower range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=MEDIAN(A1,10,20)
I assume that you don't actually mean "above 10", but that you mean "greater
than or equal to 10", and that you don't actually mean "below 20" and that
you mean "less than or equal to 20".

With the same assumptions, an alternative would be
=IF(A1<10,10,IF(A120,20,A1)) and another alternative would be
=MAX(10,MIN(A1,20))
--
David Biddulph

"jrmcosmo" wrote:

I need to change some upper and lower values of some numerical data
based on
a upper and lower range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So you have a set of existing numbers that you want to change such that they
fit between an upper and a lower limit. there are an infinite number of ways
that that can be done depending what you want.

1 Way - Any number above the upper limit becomes the upper limit and numbers
below become the lower limit.

Another Way - Lets say your exising numbers are from 0 to 100 and you want
them to be proportionally spread between 10 and 20. The difference between 10
and 20 is 10. The difference between 0 and 100 is 100. 10/100 = 0.10.
Multiply all of the existing numbers by 0.10 and then add 10 to them.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson