Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default In a Pivot Table - formatting a value to enter a pvt tbl field as

I am creating a simple pivot table with one field of values numbers to be
summed and a second field, occasional two letter alpha codes which are purely
descriptive. In the source spreadsheet I have formatted the column which
contains these codes as "Text". Text is supposed to remain unchanged,
however when that column of data is entered into the pivot table as a value,
it is handled as though it were numeric data, and the two letter codes don't
show up at all. Further I see no way to manipulate this data field to be
recognized as text in the pivot table itself.
How do I get the pivot table to just take this alpha data as is?
Thanks,
Eric