Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep data together

I need to keep the contents of rows together, but allow users to freely edit
the contents of the cells.

Users should be able to sort, but regardless of the range selection the data
on any row must always stay together.

Locking isn't the answer because users must then unlock the cells to edit or
sort, and then they can also move a cell's contents out of the row with the
other information that it specifically relates to.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before sorting, make sure you have ALL columns selected.

Do not let Excel guess what the sort range is.

If this is not what you need, post back with more details and/or a sample of
your layout.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:08:01 -0700, Daniel
wrote:

I need to keep the contents of rows together, but allow users to freely edit
the contents of the cells.

Users should be able to sort, but regardless of the range selection the data
on any row must always stay together.

Locking isn't the answer because users must then unlock the cells to edit or
sort, and then they can also move a cell's contents out of the row with the
other information that it specifically relates to.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

not sure I understand fully. Can you create a column to identify the order
or grouping you need to be able to get back to what you need? you can
protect that column but still allow users to sort / edit non protected
fields. If you can provide some examples

"Daniel" wrote:

I need to keep the contents of rows together, but allow users to freely edit
the contents of the cells.

Users should be able to sort, but regardless of the range selection the data
on any row must always stay together.

Locking isn't the answer because users must then unlock the cells to edit or
sort, and then they can also move a cell's contents out of the row with the
other information that it specifically relates to.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let me put it another way - I want to be able to lock the cells of an entire
row so that any cell in a given row cannot be moved separately from the other
cells in the same row.

For example, let's say I have data in rows 1 thru 5 in columns A thru F. I
need the contents of 2A thru 2F to be "joined" or "grouped" together so that
if any cell in row 2 is moved to - let's say - row 10, ALL cells in row 2 are
moved with it so that the contents of row 10 looks like row 2 used to.

Users should still be able to edit the cell contents, but any one cell must
not be able to be moved out of relationship with other cells in the same row.