Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculation of time differences

I have a column of times and would like to calculate the time differences
between two times. I tried to use = B3-B2 to find out the time difference
without success. Can someone advise the correct formula used in Excel 2007.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
do you want to get the minutes in C1 enter

=(A1-B1)*1440

1440 is the total minutes in a day

format C1 as a number

"Scott" wrote:

I have a column of times and would like to calculate the time differences
between two times. I tried to use = B3-B2 to find out the time difference
without success. Can someone advise the correct formula used in Excel 2007.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just try this.

=TEXT(A1-A3,"h:mm:ss")

If this post helps, Click Yes!

--------------------
(MS-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Scott" wrote:

I have a column of times and would like to calculate the time differences
between two times. I tried to use = B3-B2 to find out the time difference
without success. Can someone advise the correct formula used in Excel 2007.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=B3-B2 would be the right formula to use if the later time was in B3 and the
earlier time was in B2.
You may need to elaborate on "without success".
What result does your formula return? What result did you expect?
What values do you have in B2 and B3? Are you sure that they are real Excel
times and not text? What do =ISNUMBER(B2) and =ISTEXT(B2) return, and
correspondingly for B3?
Are you looking for a result as an Excel time, formatted as [h]:mm or
something similar, or are you looking for a decimal number of hours?
--
David Biddulph