Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count days in between or if not entered till TODAY

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Jim:

It didn't work, still getting #VALUE! error when in the column "B" I have
the "-" value for a no date.
Please advise.
Thx
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=IF(B1="",TODAY(),B1)-A1

Format as General or Number

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim:

sorry -- it actually works if I remove the "-" symbol for the cells that
don't have a date yet. Is there a way to make the formula works while keeping
the symbol in the cell -- didn't want to have blank cells but if this is the
only way I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try it like this:

=IF(B1="-",TODAY(),B1)-A1

Or:

=IF(COUNT(B1),B1,TODAY())-A1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Jim:

sorry -- it actually works if I remove the "-" symbol for the cells that
don't have a date yet. Is there a way to make the formula works while
keeping
the symbol in the cell -- didn't want to have blank cells but if this is
the
only way I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been
completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like
the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting
error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

We use IF to check if Current/Complete is empty, then decide whitch formula
to use:

=IF(B12<"",B12-A12,TODAY()-A12)

Regards,
Per

"murkaboris" skrev i meddelelsen
Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try it like this:

=IF(B1="-",TODAY(),B1)-A1

Or:

=IF(COUNT(B1),B1,TODAY())-A1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Jim:

sorry -- it actually works if I remove the "-" symbol for the cells that
don't have a date yet. Is there a way to make the formula works while
keeping
the symbol in the cell -- didn't want to have blank cells but if this is
the
only way I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to count days between two columns, it works fine till the
"Current" column doesn't have an entry bcs an item hasn't been
completed.
In that case I want to count the days till "TODAY" since its still
counting...any help?
Do I need to use an IF with "Error" to accomplish this?

i.e.

Original Date Current/Completion Date
06/08/09 08/17/09
09/03/09 -
04/23/08 02/08/09

Simple formula works if both columns are populated but in a case like
the
row two above when the current day is not populated yet I'm getting
error.

Please help.
Thank you.

Monika

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Thank you.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try it like this:

=IF(B1="-",TODAY(),B1)-A1

Or:

=IF(COUNT(B1),B1,TODAY())-A1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Jim:

sorry -- it actually works if I remove the "-" symbol for the cells
that
don't have a date yet. Is there a way to make the formula works while
keeping
the symbol in the cell -- didn't want to have blank cells but if this
is
the
only way I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Cool

Hey all,
I need a bit more help although the previous posts have been excellent. I am using similar although not exactly the same functionality to track how long it takes to get service tickets that are billable turned in from my field personnel.
The formula works great with the exception that if there is no start date then the formula always returns a value of 41269. Any idea's on how I can prevent any value from showing (or have a 0 display) if there is no start date?

Thanks tons!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Valko View Post
You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Thank you.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try it like this:

=IF(B1="-",TODAY(),B1)-A1

Or:

=IF(COUNT(B1),B1,TODAY())-A1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"murkaboris" wrote in message
Jim:

sorry -- it actually works if I remove the "-" symbol for the cells
that
don't have a date yet. Is there a way to make the formula works while
keeping
the symbol in the cell -- didn't want to have blank cells but if this
is
the
only way I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.
Monika

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

=if(B1 = "", Today(), B1) - A1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"murkaboris" wrote:

[...]

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
Hey all,
I need a bit more help although the previous posts have been excellent. I am using similar although not exactly the same functionality to track how long it takes to get service tickets that are billable turned in from my field personnel.
The formula works great with the exception that if there is no start date then the formula always returns a value of 41269. Any idea's on how I can prevent any value from showing (or have a 0 display) if there is no start date?

Thanks tons!!!
Have a look at the yellow cells in the attached for one way of accomplishing this.

S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KellyR Example.zip (7.0 KB, 25 views)