Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Check text in range of cells

I have names in a range of cells from D 4 - I 16. I would like to do two
things:

1) Check that each name occurs only one time in each column, D - I, and
confirm with a True / False in another cell.

2) Check how many times a name appears in the entire range and print name
with the number of times it appears to another cell.

Is there a way to do these?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To check for all unique:
=SUMPRODUCT(--COUNTIF(D4:I16,D4:I16))=COUNTA(D4:I16)

To see how many times the name in A2 appears in range:
=A2&" "&COUNTIF(D4:I16,A2)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"tommcbrny" wrote:

I have names in a range of cells from D 4 - I 16. I would like to do two
things:

1) Check that each name occurs only one time in each column, D - I, and
confirm with a True / False in another cell.

2) Check how many times a name appears in the entire range and print name
with the number of times it appears to another cell.

Is there a way to do these?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

To check all the unique name in a range
=SUMPRODUCT(($D$4:$I$16<"")/COUNTIF($D$4:$I$16,$D$4:$I$16&""))

the use of "&" & "" used to avoid any blank cell or blank return by any
formula in range.

To check how many time a name in a cell A2 appear in range.
=countif(d4:i16,a2)

If a name in A2 appear only once in the range than return "True" other wise
false
=IF(COUNTIF($D$4:$I$15,A2)<2,"TRUE","FALSE")