Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to remove a - sign after the number

The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as a
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried (Ctrl+ H) Find and replace with blank..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Meeru" wrote:

The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as a
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Meeru

Try the below macro to convert multiple columns..If you are new to macros..

--Set the Security level to low/medium in (Tools|Macro|Security).
--From workbook launch VBE using short-key Alt+F11.
--From menu 'Insert' a module and paste the below code.
--Get back to Workbook.
--Select the columns to be converted and run macro from Tools|Macro|Run
<selected macro()

Sub Macro()
For Each cell In Selection
If Right(cell.Text, 1) = "-" Then
cell.Value = -Left(cell.Text, Len(cell.Text) - 1)
End If
Next
End Sub

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Meeru" wrote:

The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as a
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jacob,

Many thanks it worked so well. May i also ask one thing additional, can it
format the numbers also to #,### format.
thanks in advance.
meeran

"Meeru" wrote:

The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as a
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sure Meeru; see below..

Sub Macro()
For Each cell In Selection
If Right(cell.Text, 1) = "-" Then
cell.Value = -Left(cell.Text, Len(cell.Text) - 1)
End If
Next
Selection.Numberformat = "#,###"
End Sub

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Meeru" wrote:

The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as a
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want to remove it or relocate it to the front of the number making it
a negative number?

If you want to relocate it...

Select the cell(s) in question
Goto DataText to Columns
Click Next twice
Click Advanced
Make sure Trailing minus for negative numbers is checked
OKFinish

To remove it completely (assuming it's the only dash in the cell):

Select the cell(s) in question
Goto EditReplace
Find what: -
Replace with: nothing, leave this blank
Replace All

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Meeru" wrote in message
The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after
the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks Valko, i want the first option remove and replace, but i can do for
this for selecting only one column at a time. Since i have many numbers in 12
columns ( Jan to Dec ), how can i select the 12 column and do it at one go as
you suggested in option 1.
thanks
meeru

"Meeru" wrote in message
The number extraced from our financial software shows a minus sign after
the
number. for e.g
123,768-
i cannot do any calculation on this numbers as it does not recognise it as
number, any qick way to delete the - (minus) sign after the number.
thanks in advance:)
meeru

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see you have a solution.