Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 09/36

I am trying to type this in excel but keeps defaulting to another number
please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What kind of other number?

Excel could be interpreting 09/36 as a date and give you 9/1/2036

If formatted to general would be 49919

Or if you have Transition Options enabled Excel would divide 9 by 36 and
return .25

Until you show us the other number we can only guess.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:44:01 -0700, Rlsgates
wrote:

I am trying to type this in excel but keeps defaulting to another number
please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel is treating 9/36 as a date value. Since there is no 36th day of
the 9th month, Excel treats it as 1-Sept-1936. Depending on how the
cell is formatted for display, there are any number of results that
might appear in the cell.

If you want 9/36 to be treated as text, not as a date, format the
cells as Text prior to typing in the value. Or, you can enter an
apostrophe before the text, and Excel will treat the input as literal
text and not convert it to a date. The apostrophe will not appear in
the cell but will appear on the formula bar.

If you want to enter 9/36 and have it treated as a number (0.25),
enter it with a leading = character:

=9/36

Format the cell as desired.

Cordially,