Ruth Betts

Default Sheet Protection & Grouped Columns in Excel

I've just created a fairly complex work sheet with some grouped columns. I
wish to protect some cells with formulas but have other people enter data to
the rest - pretty easy stuff. However, I can't find a way to allow other
users to expand and collapse grouped columns (which is necessary for
practical reasons given number of cols and that most will only need to use
one or 2 groups).

Please advise if there is a way round this.
CyberTaz

Hi Ruth-

You might try creating custom views (ViewCustom Views...) for the various
grouping combinations. If that works - some features included by Views are
not supported when Protection is on - you can add a list of views as a Menu
or toolbar for convenience.

HTH |:)

"Ruth Betts" wrote:

I've just created a fairly complex work sheet with some grouped columns. I
wish to protect some cells with formulas but have other people enter data to
the rest - pretty easy stuff. However, I can't find a way to allow other
users to expand and collapse grouped columns (which is necessary for
practical reasons given number of cols and that most will only need to use
one or 2 groups).

Please advise if there is a way round this.

Dave Peterson

If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code
(auto_open/workbook_open??).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
.EnableOutlining = True
End With
End Sub

It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember
it after closing the workbook.)

--

Dave Peterson