Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Jim is offline

Default Spliting a cell

Hi all,

I have a full name in cell A1. I want to put the first name in cell A2 and
the Last name in cell A3. The names are present traditionally: Jim Smith.
Can you help me out?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try menu DataText to ColumnsDelimiter and select space to split
this to two columns. If you are looking for formulas try the below

In B1
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))

In C1
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jim" wrote:

Hi all,

I have a full name in cell A1. I want to put the first name in cell A2 and
the Last name in cell A3. The names are present traditionally: Jim Smith.
Can you help me out?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With error handling
In B1
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1 & " ")-1))

In C1
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1 & " ")+1,LEN(A1)))

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria