Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert Month Display

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=TEXT(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),A1,1),"mmmm yyyy")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This works with regional date settings of U.S. English:

=TEXT(A1&"-1","mmmm yyyy")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This works with regional date settings of U.S. English:
=TEXT(A1&"-1","mmmm yyyy")

If you use regional date settings of the format: d/m/y then it would stand
to reason that reversing the cell ref and the 1 should work:

=TEXT("1-"&A1,"mmmm yyyy")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well Check out this formula......
I belive, it should be sufficient......

First custmosize the B1 to format(custom) in that have it as mmmm yyyy

Then put the formula in B1 as =Date(2009,A1+1,0)

Well it will return as Feburary 2009,

Now I hope that is helpful and simple....

And if you ask me why I have taken "A1+1" the i am not aware but it works
that way.....

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, K****ij & Valki,

Thanks for your formula. Pls be kind to explain how the Date & Text worked
in this formula.

Thanks,

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well in may case it was simple that i had formated the cell to just show the
month and Year..... Remember we had done-- right click on cell... Format and
then Number and Custom...... and TYpe..... "MMMM YYYY", this mad it to text,
and the Date formula is the regular date formula..... nothing else..... So
chill.....

If you found the answer useful, Please press yes at bottom.... Ok....

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, K****ij,

Actually, i wish to know how does the Date & Text function work in the
formula ? Why "A1+1" in your formulae and "1-"&A1 in Valko formulae ?

Thanks,

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=TEXT(A1&"-1","mmmm yyyy")
=TEXT("1-"&A1,"mmmm yyyy")

Depending on your regional date settings Excel will interpret an entry like
1-2 or 2-1 as a valid date of the current year. For examle, with my regional
date settings as U.S. English, if I type in cell A1 2-1 Excel automatically
evaaluates that as a date and displays 1-Feb.

Basically, in the formula we're just taking advantage of Excel's eagerness
to identify dates!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Valko....

Thanks for the explanation, Also I have another querry if You could slove
the same for me...

Yesterday in one of the querry asked the reply answer to that was the
following formula...

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$1000=D1),--($B$1:$B$1000=E1),$C$1:$C$1000)

Here can you explain the use of ' -- ' what does that do......?

If that is possible....?

Thanks

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's see how the SUMPRODUCT formula works using this sample data:

...........A..........B..........C
1.......Fe.........Fi.........10
2.......Fo........Fum......22
3.......Foo......Bar.......17
4.......Foo......Gee......42
5.......Bar.......Fly.......19

You want to sum column C where column A = Foo and column B = Bar on the same
row.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5="Foo"),--(B1:B5="Bar"),C1:C5))

Result = 17

Here's how it works...

SUMPRODUCT means the SUM of PRODUCTS. PRODUCTS means to multiply. So, we're
going to multiply some things and then get the SUM of that multiplication.

Each of these expressions will return an array of either TRUE (T) or FALSE
(F):

(A1:A5="Foo")
(B1:B5="Bar")

Fe = Foo = F
Fo = Foo = F
Foo = Foo = T
Foo = Foo = T
Bar = Foo = F

Fi = Bar = F
Fum = Bar = F
Bar = Bar = T
Gee = Bar = F
Fly = Bar = F

SUMPRODUCT works with numbers so we need to convert those logical values,
TRUE and FALSE, to numbers. One way to do that is to use the double unary
"--". It coerces TRUE to numeric 1 and FALSE to numeric 0:

--TRUE = 1
--FALSE = 0

--(A1:A5="Foo")
--(B1:B5="Bar")

--(Fe = Foo) = F = 0
--(Fo = Foo) = F = 0
--(Foo = Foo) = T = 1
--(Foo = Foo) = T = 1
--(Bar = Foo) = F = 0

--(Fi = Bar) = F = 0
--(Fum = Bar) = F = 0
--(Bar = Bar) = T = 1
--(Gee = Bar) = F = 0
--(Fly = Bar) = F = 0

Now, here's where the multiplication takes place.

We coerced the logical test arrays to numbers and the data in col C is
already numbers so now these 3 arrays are multiplied together:

0 * 0 * 10 = 0
0 * 0 * 22 = 0
1 * 1 * 17 = 17
1 * 0 * 42 = 0
0 * 0 * 19 = 0

We have the results of the multiplication (PRODUCTS) so we just add (SUM)
them up:

=SUMPRODUCT({0;0;17;0;0}) = 17

So:

"yclhk" wrote:

How to convert the month in number to the month in text ?
For example :

in cell A1 enter 2
in cell B1 display February 2009

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Valko.....

Really Appreciated.....

MAny A times it happens that I know the formula but i don't know how it
works... this time i would know how that worked......

Thanks Again