Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unicode text and carriage returns

If I enter carriage returns in a cell (Alt + Enter), then save the
sheet from Excel as "Unicode Text" file type, then open the file, the
carriage returns are interpreted as delimiters.

In the Text Import Wizard, I've made sure that the only delimter is
Tab, which is the default when opening that file.

If I look at the file in Notepad, the Alt + Enter characters do not
look like tabs at all. I have other tabs in the file and they look
like tabs, but the Alt + Enter characters look different.

In Step 1 of Excel's Text Import Wizard, I've tried all the variations
I can think off -- UTF-7, UTF-8, 1252, US-ASCII.

In Step 2 of the Wizard, the text qualifier is """ (double-quote, the
default), and in Notepad I see that the whole cell contents, including
Alt+Enter carriage returns, are enclosed in doublequotes.

Any ideas? How can I save carriage returns in cells, save the sheet as
Unicode text, and import the text file without the carriage returns
being interpreted as delimiters?

Thanks,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can cheat.

Before saving the file as Unicode Text, change all the embedded hard returns
( CHAR(10) ) into another character that you are not using (perhaps tilda).

When you re-import the file, the tildas will not be considered cell
delimiters. You can change them back into hard returns after the import.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200901