-   -   formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/240645-formula.html)

Confusicous

formula

I have a list of names in Column A and the names appear every 4 lines down.
A2, A6, A10... In column E I just want the names to appear and this has 6,000
lines on the spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get this to
work out.

Thanks

Gary''s Student

formula

In E1 enter:

=INDIRECT("A" &4* ROW()-2) and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200901

"Confusicous" wrote:

I have a list of names in Column A and the names appear every 4 lines down.
A2, A6, A10... In column E I just want the names to appear and this has 6,000
lines on the spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get this to
work out.

Thanks

Mike H

formula

Hi,

Put this in E1 and drag down as far as required

=INDIRECT("A"&2+(ROW(A1)-1)*4)

Mike

"Confusicous" wrote:

I have a list of names in Column A and the names appear every 4 lines down.
A2, A6, A10... In column E I just want the names to appear and this has 6,000
lines on the spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get this to
work out.

Thanks

T. Valko

formula

Select the range of interest.
Right clickCopy
Select the first destination cell
Right clickPaste
With the detination range still selected
EditGo toSpecialBlanksOK
Then EditDeleteShift cells upOK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Confusicous" wrote in message
I have a list of names in Column A and the names appear every 4 lines down.
A2, A6, A10... In column E I just want the names to appear and this has
6,000
lines on the spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get this
work out.

Thanks

Don Guillett

formula

Sub getevery4throw()
mc = 1 ' col A
r = 2
For i = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row Step 4
Cells(r, mc + 4) = Cells(i, mc)
r = r + 1
Next i

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Confusicous" wrote in message
I have a list of names in Column A and the names appear every 4 lines down.
A2, A6, A10... In column E I just want the names to appear and this has
6,000
lines on the spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get this
work out.

Thanks

Confusicous

formula

Thanks a ton! very informative and helpful.