Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help with sort function and lots of data?

I have an Excel spreadsheets with various data. Lots of Names, Dates, and
information on various things.

I want to edited it so that the contents dont become insensible
if a sort function is applied.

It is hard for me to explain, so I will show what data I have
for example

Date To From Description attached
doc Find it

5/3/2009 Paul Row Bev Hardue cover letter CHIS 199
c://ethos
2/2/2008 Paul Row John Newman PHD paper CHIS 299 c://PHD
4/8/2009 Grant Stow McMan Son Confid. agree CACL 110 d://confi
9/8/2009 Paul Row Bev Hardue Assistant pos ASSGN9 c://ethos
9/8/2009 Sean Briss Bev Hardue cover letter CHIS 199
c://ethos
Resignation
CODE R e://cr/..
Acceptance
form FORM29 d://forms
Chapter sub
REG519 s://ffspdfs

As you can see there are data. and the last 3 dont have a date to or from,
because someone was lazy and didnt add it. So the last 3 should have 9/8/2009
Sean Briss Bev Hardue before each of them but they dont.

So I wanted to copy and paste or fill. But was wondering if it would affect
the sort. And preferably I wouldnt like to. Because if I would like to sort
it with date, I dont want 20 different rows with the same dates. If you
understant.
Is there a way to be able to sort horizontally so the data arent affected
vertically so each row stays together.

And also, MY MAIN QUESTION, what do I do such that if I want to sort the
data, for example the one illustrated above (my data has lots of things
missing, but you can easliy copy past it, but I'd rather not ). How do I do
so the data can be grouped together when sorted. I tried the grouping
function, but that is hopeless! Everything gets messed up.

Can soemone help me please!
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a bit hard to follow your example because the data has been
messed up. However, if you want the blanks to be filled in with the
data from above them, then position your cursor somewhere in the data
and press F5 (GoTo), click on Special and then select Blanks. Then
begin to enter a formula by typing = and then click on the cell
immediately above the first blank and then do CTRL-Enter - the blanks
will be filled with a formula to copy data from the cell above, and
then you can fix the values from those formulae by <copy | Edit |
Paste Special | Values (check) | OK and <Esc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 21, 8:08*am, Andrei90
wrote:
I have an Excel spreadsheets with various data. Lots of Names, Dates, and
information on various things.

I want *to edited it so that the contents don’t become insensible
if a sort function is applied.

It is hard for me to explain, so I will show what data I have
for example

Date * * * * * * * * *To * * * * * *From * * * * * *Description * * attached
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2007
Sort with Conditional Formatting:
(If you can uniquely tag each type of data)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmwzm3ijun/08_01_09.xlsm
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmemkcz0nzg/08_09_09.xlsm