Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Application.ontime from shared drive

Can Application.ontiem work from a shared drive? I want a file to do
a task every 10 minutes or so and I am not sure if this will work if
the file is saved on a shared drive.

Thanks,
Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once your workbook is opened in excel, it doesn't matter where it came from.

But depending on what your macro does, maybe that won't work on a shared drive
(but I'm not sure what a shared drive really is).

You may want to post some more details -- and explain what a shared drive is.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jlclyde wrote:

Can Application.ontiem work from a shared drive? *I want a file to do
a task every 10 minutes or so and I am not sure if this will work if
the file is saved on a shared drive.

Thanks,
Jay

--

Dave Peterson

Dave,
I think by askign me a question you answered my question...How very
confucius of you.
I was talkign about files that are stored on a server that can be
accessed by other people who also have access to the server. I was
thinking that a computer would have to be open to fire the ontiem
event, but this does nto matter since I only want the file to update
when it is open.

If I did want a file to run off of a server when no one was here, how
woudl I accomplish this? (Not necessary, just curious)

Thanks,
Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, you'd have to have some way of starting the workbook that contained the
ontime macro. Maybe manual or some sort of windows scheduling program?????

Then you'd have to make sure that macros are allowed to run (if you're not there
to click any buttons).

And then the .ontime macro would run when specified.

Be aware that if you close that workbook that is going to have that macro run
via ontime (but keep excel open), excel will open that workbook to get to that
ontime macro.

If you close excel, then the ontime macro won't run.

If you want to close that "master" workbook and kill the ontime procedure, you
can do that, too.

In fact, I'd start here (Chip Pearson's site) to learn more about .ontime:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/OnTime.aspx