Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting 2007 - begins with

I am trying to pick out data that "begins with" a certain letter. In Office
2003, Conditional formatting had this option. I could also have used
"contains" or even a wildcard, but "contains" is not available, and wildcards
do not appear to work.

Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Lynn,
Ok if you want to highlight a cell, go to Conditional formating,Highlight
cell rules, text that contains

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"Lynn" wrote:

I am trying to pick out data that "begins with" a certain letter. In Office
2003, Conditional formatting had this option. I could also have used
"contains" or even a wildcard, but "contains" is not available, and wildcards
do not appear to work.

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're misremembering xl2003.

"Begins with" isn't in conditional formatting in xl2003. (You're thinking of
the Custom choice in data|filter|autofilter.)

But you could use a formula:
=left(a1,1)="x"
to check for a leading X (or lower case x) in A1

--

Dave Peterson