Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Enter value, convert, read result from same cell

Hi,

I am attempting to build a travelling esxpenses calculator capable of
handling several variables; distance travelled, fuel economy (mpg), price per
litre of fuel.

I would like the option of being able to enter a value eg 120.3 (km) and
then convert this figure to miles for the rest of the formula. so I would
like a button that says "convert to miles" or similar that when activated
returns the contents of the cell as a milage (in this instance approx 75.2).

I would also (of course) like the option of entering miles directly in the
cell and for the rest of the formula to pick it up.

I have worked out that I can achieve this using two cells and a circular
function with a single iteration (entering miles gives km and vice versa) but
as soon as a result is displayed it overwrites the formula for that cell and
can't be undone so any mistakes (for instance entering mileage values in the
km cell) mean a complete fresh start.

I understand it is possible to write a macro that can deliver results in the
same same (input) cell but all my experiments have failed. Can anyone
explain to me what I need to do, or what other options there are? Thanks,

Stephen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel