Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I dont want to have to do a macro

I have 2 spreadsheets that need to be linked. This is what I need:
Spreadsheet A has a basic log of information. The information is logged in
rows which each have an assigned number. This number needs to be linked to
spreadsheet A. However; Each time information in logged into spreadsheet A,
the formula needs to pick up the NEXT BLANK CELL's assigned number.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How is the blank cell assigned a number?

Do you want the row number of the first blank cell returned?

=MATCH(99^99,A:A) + 1 if data is numerical

=MATCH(REPT("z",255),E:E) + 1 if data is textual

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:37:01 -0700, CHOUSE - UCITY <CHOUSE -
wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets that need to be linked. This is what I need:
Spreadsheet A has a basic log of information. The information is logged in
rows which each have an assigned number. This number needs to be linked to
spreadsheet A. However; Each time information in logged into spreadsheet A,
the formula needs to pick up the NEXT BLANK CELL's assigned number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For Example, this is what the Row looks like that I need the number from:

P09-10-043 8/10/2009 6311 Clemens
P09-10-044 8/11/2009 7057 Julian
P09-10-045

The row that contains P09-10-045 is what I need to "pop up" in the 2nd
spreadsheet. These are just typed in and are not formulas or anything.

What I need is a formula in the 2nd spreadsheet that gives me the next
number available. Then, once information is entered into that cell, it will
automatically go to the next number.

Is that a better explanation?

This was done once before and the formula was lost.

wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets that need to be linked. This is what I need:
Spreadsheet A has a basic log of information. The information is logged in
rows which each have an assigned number. This number needs to be linked to
spreadsheet A. However; Each time information in logged into spreadsheet A,
the formula needs to pick up the NEXT BLANK CELL's assigned number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot have a formula in a cell then enter data on top of it.

You will wipe out the formula.

To retrieve the text string P09-10-045 enter this formula wherever you want
on sheet2.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet1!A1:A65535<""),Sheet1!A1:A65535)

Assuming column A is text string column.

But don't overwrite it.

Gord